activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Load Balancing Pull Model
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:46:08 GMT
On 7/11/06, bhusted <bhuste1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>Depending on hardware and exact OS/JVM/ActiveMQ configuration a single
> broker can handle 10->>100 million messages per hour - so 50 million
> transactions in 24 hours sounds well within the bounds >>of a single broker.
>
>    Sounds good.  What message size has that been tested with?

We tend to test up to a few hundred K per message. For large messages
(in the Gb) we recommend JMS streams...

http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/jms-streams.html

> It sounds like designing for a single message broker what you would
> recommend, but what happens if that becomes a bottleneck?

I'd say start off with one broker and see how you get on; switching
from 1 to many brokers is on the client side a trivial URI change.
Clients automatically load balance across all the brokers they can
find (using static URL configurations or dynamic discovery)

> We are definitely looking at integrating with JBoss and using MDBs for this
> implementation.  I really like the prefetch option...that can really help us
> with the load balancing.  I was worried about messages piling up in consumer
> queues within the farm.

Agreed - its a very useful feature.

If you are building any kind of compute farm, make sure you check out
Message Groups which provide a very elegant way to partition your data
for efficient concurrency and caching etc...

http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/message-groups.html
--

James
-------