activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Load Balancing Pull Model
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:17:45 GMT
On 7/11/06, bhusted <bhuste1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> >Do you expect there to be a large numbers of messages; or do you  expect
> there to be a relatively >small number of messages?
>
> The requirements are to prepare a solution that can scale to 50 million
> transactions in a 24 hour period.

Depending on hardware and exact OS/JVM/ActiveMQ configuration a single
broker can handle 10-100 million messages per hour - so 50 million
transactions in 24 hours sounds well within the bounds of a single
broker.

> A transaction will spawn multiple
> messages on the broker to handle workflow, auditing and a single
> request/reply to the compute farm.   The compute farm will also host a
> broker for messaging among local components.
>
> >What kind of message throughput do you expect? It could be just a single
> broker would do the trick
> >(with maybe another broker acting as standby) - or just having 2
> independent brokers with producers >and consumers connecting to either
> broker.
>
> I think we will definitely need multiple brokers.  I would prefer that the
> consumers have the ability to load balance across brokers - is this
> possible?  What configuration would you recommend?

The simplest solution is to create consumers in each JVM on each
broker available & share a thread pool across the consumers; so
however many brokers you run you can easily process messages on the
consumers. (Using networks for store and forward is less efficient as
you end up with multi-hops - its easier to just create pools of
consumers on each broker in a single JVM).

For help on creating pools of consumers on multiple brokers try jencks...

http://jencks.codehaus.org

or try using MDBs etc
--

James