activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Load Balancing Pull Model
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:18:47 GMT
On 7/11/06, bhusted <bhuste1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to architect a solution that will require a high degree of
> scalability. We need a configuration that can scale a small pool of Brokers
> performing light weight processing and in-turn delgate to a compute farm for
> intense computational processing.  The compute farm will need to pull
> requests from the brokers to maximize utilization of spare capacity.  A
> round robin push model will not suffice.

Do you expect there to be a large numbers of messages; or do you
expect there to be a relatively small number of messages?

The out of the box settings work fine for large numbers of messages.
For small amounts of messages (where you want to trade performance for
extra fairness) then reduce the prefetch size to 1

http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/what-is-the-prefetch-limit-for.html

What kind of message throughput do you expect? It could be just a
single broker would do the trick (with maybe another broker acting as
standby) - or just having 2 independent brokers with producers and
consumers connecting to either broker.
--

James
-------