activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <>
Subject Re: Load Balancing Pull Model
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:47:58 GMT
On 7/11/06, bhusted <> wrote:
> >>Depending on hardware and exact OS/JVM/ActiveMQ configuration a single
> broker can handle 10->>100 million messages per hour - so 50 million
> transactions in 24 hours sounds well within the bounds >>of a single
> broker.
>    Sounds good.  What message size has that been tested with?
> It sounds like designing for a single message broker what you would
> recommend, but what happens if that becomes a bottleneck?
> We are definitely looking at integrating with JBoss and using MDBs for
> this
> implementation.  I really like the prefetch option...that can really help
> us
> with the load balancing.  I was worried about messages piling up in
> consumer
> queues within the farm.

if the prefetch option is set to 1 then only the 1 message that is currently
being processed by the consumer can pile up.

But, if you can afford to pile a few more messages on a consumer queue then
your consumer will never have to 'wait' for the next message since it will
always be available.  This is definitely an option that needs to be tuned
for each app.