activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Sanjiv Jivan" <sanjiv.ji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AMQ 4.0.1 Memory Leak/Hang
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 11:46:15 GMT
I think backward compatibility for middleware is pretty important (esp. for
different minor releases).

Consider an enterprise where there are several different applications
connecting to a central broker, requiring all clients to upgrade their jars
on a server upgrade might be a concern for some organizations. Oracle 8
and 9 drivers work with Oracle 8, 9 and 10 servers. Similarly I believe RMI
from JDK 1.3 ( and JDK 1.4) is able to talk to RMI from JDK 1.5 although the
internals have changed significantly.

The client server version checking for incompatibilities should be something
that an application may chose to enforce if ,say, the semantics of the
business logic or domain have changed which leaves older clients
incompatible with newer application releases.

On a middleware project that I worked on we had test suites run with older
clients/newer servers as well.

Sanjiv