activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Igor Bogicevic" <cab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problems with ActiveMQ with large number of producers/consumers
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 13:34:32 GMT
Hi James,

well, it doesn't depend on the prefetch value (I have tried with 1000
and 2000 prefetch messages, and without prefetching at all), and what
happens is this:
1) create about 60 producers and 60 consumers (I have attached the
small and ugly test I used - basically I've forked about 60 processes
on each side, which means they had separate sessions and connections)
2) if you cut out the shutdown hook in this test, which handles
cleanup of connections and sessions, and you kill large amount of
producers/consumers this queue will be blocked in the terms that
neither producers or consumers will be able to either send or receive
messages on this queue - sometimes this happens for a period of a
20-30s and very often for good (>10h, that's the longest period i've
left it before i've restarted broker).
3) in case there is shutdown hook with properly closing sessions and
connections, this is very hard to repeat, and in case of 4.0.0 i've
managed to block the queue with repetitve starting/killing large
number of producers and consumers, but i've never managed to reproduce
this with 4.0.1
4) i could see a large number of hanging connections (jmx console
showed much more connections than there actually were)
4) after restarting broker all works like a charm

Thanks,
Igor