activemq-users mailing list archives

From nlif <>
Subject Re: Consuming a group of messages in a single transaction
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:28:18 GMT

Thanks James.

Let me describe a typical use-case: I need to send some kind of a command
object along with a binary file. I serialize the command object to XML and
send it as a JMS TextMessage. Now comes the file, which is quite large
(~200Mb), so I need streaming. The problem is - what happens if the consumer
got the TextMessage and acknowledged it, and then crashed? The File may
eventually get there, possibly using a different consumer thread (*) but the
TextMessage will not be redelivered since it was acknowledged. That's why,
in my opinion, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, I need a transaction
to include both the TextMessage and the file.

(*) Since we're deployed in a cluster, the TextMessage and the File might
have ended up in different nodes altogether, but luckily there's ActiveMQ
MessageGroups :-)

Sent from the ActiveMQ - User forum at

View raw message