activemq-users mailing list archives

From nlif <naa...@dbnet.co.il>
Subject Re: Consuming a group of messages in a single transaction
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 05:30:28 GMT

Thanks, Hiram.

I guess I need to take a step back then, and restate my question in a more
generalized form: how is it possible in a JMS-based architecture to
send/receive several seperate items, while ensuring atomicy of the group?
That is - it is ensured that ALL items of the group are received, and by the
SAME consumer.

At first, I thought using JMS transactions (both on the producer and on the
consumer side) will suffice, but then I realized in a cluster (or even a
multi-threaded single-node consumer) the group might get scattered among
several consumers.

ActiveMQ MessageGroups then came to the rescue - I am using an AMQ group, as
one would use a transaction, to ensure all items are delivered to the same
consumer (and the consumer will commit only after it has received all items
in the group).

However, now with the need to pass very large binary files, for which I must
use streams, it seems I am running out of options. Maybe it is time to
rethink the whole concept... so, is there another architecture for such a
requirement? Seems to me this is somewhat of a generic problem for any
messaging-based archiecture, and  I would think there is some
"design-pattern" solution for it. Is there?

Thanks,
Naaman