activemq-users mailing list archives

From bmadigan <bmadi...@orbitz.com>
Subject Re: Virtual Topics (was Re: Failover topic subscribers)
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:15:25 GMT

>> - I'm calling ConsumerInfo.setDestination(virtualQueue) to point the
>> consumer to a virtual queue. This is probably incorrect, not sure if
>> there
>> is a better way.
>
> Are you trying to transform a durable topic consumer into a queue
> consumer? Am not sure you need. Am thinking if you are a topic
> consumer (durable or non-durable) then we leave you as you are; a
> fully JMS compliant durable topic consumer. However to use the nice
> queue-centric virtual topics, you really use a queue consumer of the
> right name and things all just work. (BTW the topic regions are
> optimised so that if no consumers are available, publishing to a topic
> is a no-op)

Yep, thats what I was attempting. If a subscriber signs up to a virtual
topic,
a queue is created for the virtual topic group. I was synching on next to
make sure
only one queue is created for any group of consumers. If I can just have the
consumer
subscribe to a Queue called ActiveMQ.Virtual.GroupName.TopicName, then I can
just get rid of the addConsumer implementation completely. That makes it
even simpler!

>> - The virtual queues can't provide subscription recovery. Not sure how to
>> handle that.
>
> Yeah thats true. Am not too worried about that right now - but we
> could look at fixing that later on.

I think it will work now that I am not creating the Queues in the
interceptor. I will test this since most of our teams implementing listeners
require recovery.