activemq-users mailing list archives

From colincrist <colincr...@hermesjms.com>
Subject ActiveMQ JMX Questions..
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:31:19 GMT

Hi,

I'm adding JMX support for ActiveMQ to Hermes to let you browse durable
subscription queues, get depths, discover queues/topics on the broker and
some other stuff.

I've a few questions/issues on the MBeans.

1. "browse" operation, type=Subscription

It returns a CompositeType[]

There is no way to convert this to a JMS message. Is there a helper class
anywhere as I need a JMS message interface to render from in Hermes?

It also returns an array of all the elements - there would be some delay for
large queues of pending durables subscriptions. Consider 10K elements.

How about a "browseHeaders" operation that just retured the headers? I could
also imagine a "browseChangesSince" that included a timestamp and returned
me the messages added and removed from that subscription queue.

These coupled with a "browse" operation that used a selector means I could
lazily retrieve the message body based on the JMSMessageID in the header and
minimise the load all round.

Clearly there are timeing issues as the messages could have been consumed
since the browse but thats fine for a monitoring app.

2. ObjectName for a durable type

The name is the connection clientId + "_" + the subscription name. Can I
rely on this being stable?

Regards,

Colin.
http://hermesjms.com