activemq-users mailing list archives

From Kuppe <ku...@360t.com>
Subject Message queue is filled up.
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 03:40:41 GMT

I am working on a use case where i am distributing fast moving market data
from a many different market data sources to many clients each receiving a
client-specific stream of market data from each source. Typically the
clients are connected to my broker over the internet, therefore can be
considered to be slow consumers.

The objective of the configuration is to provide high throughput on the
server side where registration/deregistration take place to the different
sources from a single registration coordinator, completely decoupled
delivery of updates from the sources to the specific topics of consumers,
and to only deliver to the consumers the latest market data updates in the
case that slow consumers cannot handle the number of updates delivered by
the sources. The configuration should also be able to handle a large number
of clients.

I am using ActiveMQ 4.0.1.

I use a queue for registration/deregistration of market data and topics to
distribute the market data updates, although there are usually only a small
number of consumers connected to each topic as the market data updates are
in fact receiver specific.

I have configured all slow consumers with a prefetch limit of 100 and have
configured a policy entry for the market data update topic with an
oldestMessageEvictionStrateygy and a prefetchRatePendingMessageLimitStrategy
with a multiplier of 1.

I have not enabled persistence as the market data updates are highly
volatile therefore it is more important that the latency of each market
update is low rather than being made persistent. (I think this is perhaps
the wrong way to think of persistence in this case, but i will leave that to
you to explain...)

The problem is that i constantly receive the message "Message queue is
filled up". Unfortunately i do not get any further information from the log
message that tells me where to look in the source for further information,
and i cannot find any text in the source that relates to the log message. So
i ask you how i can a) resolve this problem? and b) further improve my
current configuration to realize my stated objectives?

If you need further information regarding the configuration please let me
know.