activemq-users mailing list archives

From Hugo V <>
Subject optimal prefetch setup
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:05:02 GMT

We need some insight how to properly use of the ?prefetch? property.

This is my setup:

1 Queue, 5 consumers on 5 different JmsSession all sharing the same
JmsConnection. Single JVM, each consumer is in a Thread.

As written in the FAQ, with the prefetch to 1000, only one consumer is
actually receiving messages.

On the other hand, if I set the prefetch to 1, All my Thread are now
processing but I get medium delivery performances.

To take advantage of the prefetch , I had to create a separate JmsConnection
for each consumer.  But this configuration takes more resources (double the
number of Threads).

Is the prefetch property related to the JmsConnection or the  JmsSession ?

Is having more than one JmsConnection disable the prefetch propery ?

Thank you

Sent from the ActiveMQ - User forum at

View raw message