activemq-users mailing list archives

From nlif <>
Subject Duplicating Large Messages
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:39:07 GMT

Hello all,

We need to be able to handle very large messages (200 Mb and more), which
should be sent to multiple consumers (several hundreds of consumers). We
would like to know what is the memory foot-print in the broker, when the
same message is placed in several queues. Is the message duplicated in

Let me elaborate on the reasons for this question:

At first, we have considered using a Topic, so that there is only a single
copy of each message, regardless of how many consumers should get it.
However, we need to be able to deliver to consumers who are not connected at
the time of sending. We know we can use durable subscription, but we assume
this results in a larger memory foot-print, as the broker keeps messages for
some time.

Another problem with the Topic approach, is that this requires we include a
recipient-list in the message (as JMS message properties), and provide the
consumers with a JMS selector, so that consumers will only consume messages
that are sent to them. However, this is a potential security problem, and we
prefer using a queue per consumer, and a recipient-list based router, which
will duplicate the original message and place a copy of it for each
consumer, in that consumer's queue.

The above led us to the conculusion we need a Queue per consumer, and to the
question - does ActiveMQ duplicate a message when placing it in several
Queues, or is it internally a single copy?

Another question - is the ActiveMQ feature of large input and output streams
relevant for our problem?

We would appreciate any input - this is a major show-stopper for us.
Sent from the ActiveMQ - User forum at

View raw message