activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: Persistence Question/Issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:39:55 GMT
Retroactive consumers are currently just for non-persistent topics
since for persistent topics you can have durable subscriptions. For
persistent topics we keep messages around anyway; then there's a
background task which deletes messages periodically which are no
longer required. (So you can create a dummy subscriber if you wanna
keep stuff around forever or keep some back-log of messages etc)

I'm sure you could tweak the background cleanup task to only delete
things when you are ready to keep around whatever window of messages
to support 'retroactive-ness'. Though by default when you create a new
consumer, it starts from the moment of time the subscriptions created.
You can use JMX to create up front a bunch of durable subscriptions
ahead of time if you like.

Though we should also be able to support the retroactive flag for
durable topics too; not sure if we've ever got around to implement it
yet though (please raise a JIRA if you are interested in having this

As usual we welcome contributions....

On 6/22/06, himmeric <> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm trying to persist all messages between shutdown/startup of ActiveMQ.
> I'm using Persistent messages on topics and default xbean config.  I thought
> I had this working and could set deleteAllMessagesOnStartup true/false on
> the broker to clear messages when I wanted a clean start.
> I'm using the 4.0.1 release with the default persistence adapter.
> Are there other evil forces at work here?  At one point there was a
> discussion that a cleanup task would clear messages (persistent?) if there
> were no subscribers left to deliver to.  But I need to keep messages around
> for retroactive consumers.
> --
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User forum at

View raw message