activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: detaching message group affinity
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:45:42 GMT
On 6/19/06, Sanjiv Jivan <sanjiv.jivan@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > broker.

> > > This would reset all the affinity of all the message groups, right?
> >
> > No - just the message group for the JMSXGroupId setting.
> >

> > > This
> > > does not help with my use case where a message group represents a
> > > conversation and there can be several "conversations" taking place at
> > the
> > > same time.
> >
> > I should have been more clear... to clear message group FOO use
> >
> > message.setStringProperty("JMSXGroupID", "FOO");
> > message.setIntProperty("JMSXGroupSeq", 0);
>

> Who is the owner of the "JMSXGroupID" to broker mapping? Is it the JMS
> Connection or a JMSSession? I need to send messages by different Message
> Groups from the same client application. I would like to understand if I
> need to create separate JMS Connections for each message group based
> conversation, or separate JMS Sessions would suffice. A quick look at the
> source seems to indicate that Message Groups are held at the JMS connection
> level (ActiveMQConnectionMetaData). Can you confirm?

A broker manages Message Groups for its consumers. Its nothing to do
with connections per se - its purely a mapping of JMSXGroupID to
message consumer in a broker.

> It would also be great if you could explain the logic used to determine the
> recipient broker when a message is send using a message group in a "network
> of brokers" configuration.

the consumers on a remote broker are treated as normal consumers WRT
Message Groups.

> Is is that all brokers are aware of the message
> group -> recipient broker mapping and when a message is received by a broker
> in the network, it looks up the owning broker and appropriately redirects if
> required?

No - currently the mapping of Message Group ID -> consumer is private
to a broker.
--

James
-------