activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: detaching message group affinity
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:49:01 GMT
On 6/17/06, Sanjiv Jivan <sanjiv.jivan@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Message Group functionality of Active MQ 4.0 is really neat. I have a
> couple of questions regarding this
>
> 1. Is this feature fully supported/tested with the P2P discovery style
> broker topology? Are they any test cases or samples I can try. I looked for
> them in the source but wasn't able to locate them. And when I tried running
> such a scenario, I did not see a proper load balancing (even round robin
> style) of message groups across available brokers. When messages belonging
> to different message groups are sent, oftentimes only one or a small
> percentage of running brokers are chosen as recipients. As a result I end up
> with some brokers that are overloaded while others are sitting idle.

Generally Message Groups only apply to the broker which you are using;
there is no global cross-broker load balancing. So its intended when
using a traditional client-broker topology rather than a peer based
network.

Though I'm surprised that you are finding on a single broker it is not
load balancing requests across multiple brokers. Are you sure there
are suitable consumers on those brokers?

> 2. Is there a way to detach a message group affinity to a particular broker.

Just set JMSXGroupSeq to zero on the last message which 'closes' the
message group so if another message is sent in the future with the
same group ID it will be reassigned to a new consumer.

message.setIntProperty("JMSXGroupSeq", 0);

--

James
-------