activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: limit the number of messages per second
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:04:15 GMT
Is there any way you can create a test case that manages to crash the broker?

On 6/15/06, Gerdes, Mike <Mike.Gerdes@airbus.com> wrote:

> hm I will try to use prefetch and see if it works, but mostly the problem is not the
consumer, but the sender and the broker having to manage everything.

> The broker crashes or better it gets a deadlock. So the usagemanagers for the queues
request more memory and get it, at some point in time all memory is used up and they request
more and wait till they get it. That never happens, because the reference co├║nters don'T
get reduced and they think the queue is totally full. At that point the sender also stops
and waits for the queue to free.

> I am using SSL and JAAS to allow only nodes that I trust to publish to the system, but
when systems get bigger a misconfiguration might occure or somebody finds a trick or a way
around it. It is not that critical but would be very nice to have.

> I am using AMQ4.0 the SNAPSHOT 01.05.2006. I have tried to use persistent and non-persistent
messages, that makes no change.

> I haven't found the options on how to set it, that was before you added the warning and
send this email, so I will try it and hope thats the problem.

> -----Urspr├╝ngliche Nachricht-----

prevent flooding and to avoid that a software with errors kills my system.

> You can use the prefetch for that...
> http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/what-is-the-prefetch-limit-for.html
>
> to limit how many messages are dispatched to a consumer.
>

> > From what I noticed is that AMQ does have some memory problems and that it hits
under certain circumstances 100 used memory and crashes then.

> Whats the crash? Is this the broker or client?
>
> >  But thats the smaller reason. The major reason is just for security. In my testing
and application I need to have a system that is more or less stable and secure. And DoS and
flooding of queues seems to me a big problem.

> How about using security so only nodes you trust can publish to your queues?
>
> > One thing about the memory problem, I have encountered. With more then one consumer
and using queue, AMQ crashes with 100% used memory if I send as fast as possible. This happens
with and without async messages. What I noticed is that the usageManagers request more and
more memory and at some point don't get it and then block. When a message from a queue is
read, its memory is not freed. With only on consumer this haven'T been the case. There has
the memory be freed.