activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Un]reliable:// network of AMQ brokers with Lingo
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:30:20 GMT
On 6/12/06, Thomas Swindells <tswindells@ndsuk.com> wrote:
> James.Strachan wrote:
> > On 6/12/06, Thomas Swindells <tswindells@ndsuk.com> wrote:
> >> James.Strachan wrote:
> >> What happens if the slave and a client hiccups and thinks the master has
> >> failed?
> >
> > If the slave and the clients think the master is down then failover to
> > the slave will occur.
> >
> > Note that both the clients and the slave must think the master is
> > down. e.g. if the clients think the master is down but the slave can
> > still see the master, then the clients will not be able to connect to
> > the slave (as it doesn't allow connections until the master has failed
> > over), so they will reconnect to the master again.
> >

> Presumably a problem would occour on (say) a 2 host system set up as
> A[master + clientA] and B[slave+clientB] in this situation if there is a
> network hiccup between the two hosts would you end up with with a bipartite
> system - A and B totally seperate not talking to each other?

Yes. Ultimately we'd like a quorum based system where you could have a
cluster of N nodes, say N=3 so that so long as 2 broker nodes are
communicating, you are fine and the 1 broker node that can't see
anyone else would shut down - then you can handle network splits OK.

Until we get there I'd recommend running clients on different machines
to the master/slave broker unless you are prepared to handle network
splits manually when they occur.

--

James
-------