activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 4.0 Consumer OutOfMemoryError bug?
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 08:28:56 GMT
On 6/7/06, FWang <feng.wang@necam.com> wrote:

> I ran JProbe on karthik's code and I suspect that MessageDispath has the
> memory leak. Please see the attached screen shot from "Memory Leak Detector"
> in JProbe.

Thanks for doing that!

Though I don't really understand the pictures; if my reading of them
is correct the test program has created 124596 JMS Session objects;
I'm not surprised that ran out of RAM - thats a massive number of
sessions; you generally only need at most one per thread.

JMS Sessions are created by JMS client code - they are not controlled
by the JMS provider - so if too many of those are created I suspect
its your application code thats at fault.

Also imagine when you start consuming topics on that many sessions;
each consumer on the session will receive its own copy of the message
- then we prefech a few thousand messages by default per consumer - so
running out of RAM with that configuration doesnt' seem like a memory
leak - it seems like normal behaviour.

http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/what-is-the-prefetch-limit-for.html

(Unless the number next to the objects in the pictures is not the
number of instances created in which case please disregard this entire
email :)

--

James
-------