activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pop Quiz. Who can answer these questions correctly and throughly?
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:45:22 GMT
On 6/2/06, dhurlburtusa <danny@realgo.com> wrote:

> I can't find any useful documentation. All I find is explanations about a
> bunch of features ActiveMQ has but nothing says how to use it. The current
> documentation is like a dictionary. It explains/defines all the words but it
> does not tell you how to put them together to compose an essay. I don't mean
> to knock the documentation but it really needs some work. I would be happy
> to contribute but I can't if I can't understand how to use ActiveMQ.

Am looking forward to your contributions :)

> Some things I have questions about:
>
> What is a transport connector? How is it used? How do I configure one?

Its used to connect a broker to clients.

> What is a network connector? How is it used? How do I configure one?

Its used to connect a broker to other brokers.

> What is the difference between a transport connector and a network
> connector?

One talks to clients, one talks to other brokers (in a network or
master/slave etc)

> Where can I find a full DTD to use in my XML configuration file? All I find
> is a partial schema or DTD. Neither have definitions to the elements defined
> by Spring's configuration.

http://activemq.org/site/xml-reference.html

unfortunately the code generation is a bit lacking. The simplest way
to figure stuff out is often to look at the BrokerService which is the
POJO which is reflected to configure a broker.

> What happens to a slave broker after it becomes a master and the original
> master is restarted?

Currently the slave remains a master and its a manual process to bring
the old master back online (by copying the files from the new master
to the old master).

> Do all the clients
> reconnect to the newly restarted master?

Clients only reconnect when the broker they are connected to goes down.

> The current documentation says that a master/slave broker configuration is
> recommended. Why? What are its advantages and disadvantages?

Networks are designed for store-forward topologies really, not for
master/slave. i.e. in a network a message moves from one broker to
another. With master/slave the messages are replicated to 2 brokers.

> Can you have a master/slave/slave/... setup?

Not yet no.

> Can you setup a network of master/slave brokers? Would this even be useful?

Yes and yes. To get store/foward across master/slave pairs.

> About the example broker configuration files. Why is that not a <!DOCTYPE or
> a xml namespace and schemaLocation? None of my XML editors validate the
> files. None of the editors provide auto-completion with out a proper DOCTYPE
> or schema reference.

The generated XSD is not perfect yet but it should be a start if you
wanna use it. Note that we can't use DOCTYPEs as we are using XML
namespaces; so its XSDs only I'm afraid.

We generally don't mandate the XSD in each XML config file but leave
it as an option for the end user to use if they wish (validating XML
with XSDs often causes problems with XML parser classpaths or the
finding of the XSDs - the main value of XSDs seems to be for editor
tooling so use it if you like)

--

James
-------