activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Sanjiv Jivan" <sanjiv.ji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: detaching message group affinity
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:41:37 GMT
On 6/19/06, James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > 2. Is there a way to detach a message group affinity to a particular
> > broker.
> >
> > >Just set JMSXGroupSeq to zero on the last message which 'closes' the
> > >message group so if another message is sent in the future with the
> > >same group ID it will be reassigned to a new consumer.
> >
> > >message.setIntProperty("JMSXGroupSeq", 0);
> >
> > This would reset all the affinity of all the message groups, right?
>
> No - just the message group for the JMSXGroupId setting.
>

> > This
> > does not help with my use case where a message group represents a
> > conversation and there can be several "conversations" taking place at
> the
> > same time.
>
> I should have been more clear... to clear message group FOO use
>
> message.setStringProperty("JMSXGroupID", "FOO");
> message.setIntProperty("JMSXGroupSeq", 0);

Who is the owner of the "JMSXGroupID" to broker mapping? Is it the JMS
Connection or a JMSSession? I need to send messages by different Message
Groups from the same client application. I would like to understand if I
need to create separate JMS Connections for each message group based
conversation, or separate JMS Sessions would suffice. A quick look at the
source seems to indicate that Message Groups are held at the JMS connection
level (ActiveMQConnectionMetaData). Can you confirm?

It would also be great if you could explain the logic used to determine the
recipient broker when a message is send using a message group in a "network
of brokers" configuration. Is is that all brokers are aware of the message
group -> recipient broker mapping and when a message is received by a broker
in the network, it looks up the owning broker and appropriately redirects if
required?

Thanks,
Sanjiv