activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Sanjiv Jivan" <sanjiv.ji...@gmail.com>
Subject detaching message group affinity
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2006 00:54:35 GMT
The Message Group functionality of Active MQ 4.0 is really neat. I have a
couple of questions regarding this

1. Is this feature fully supported/tested with the P2P discovery style
broker topology? Are they any test cases or samples I can try. I looked for
them in the source but wasn't able to locate them. And when I tried running
such a scenario, I did not see a proper load balancing (even round robin
style) of message groups across available brokers. When messages belonging
to different message groups are sent, oftentimes only one or a small
percentage of running brokers are chosen as recipients. As a result I end up
with some brokers that are overloaded while others are sitting idle.

2. Is there a way to detach a message group affinity to a particular broker.
In my use case, a message group marks a conversation which is a sequence of
related calls to a recipient. However when a business conversation ends, I
would like to have a way of detaching the affinity of a message
group/conversation-id with the broker so that at a later point if a
conversation with the same ID is made, rather than simply going to the
initially chosen broker from the previous conversation, a broker is chosen
based on load balancing criteria. For example a message header
("*-*JMSXGroupID",
<messagegroup-id>) could be used to detach a message group affinity to a
broker.

Thanks,
Sanjiv