activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Taylor" <Richa...@attachmatewrq.com>
Subject Exclusive consumer question
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 00:50:28 GMT
Hi Gang,

Our group is working on a clustering solution in which we're using
ActiveMQ for our messaging.  We have a group of "nodes" clustered
together, all communicating via predetermined JMS Queues / Topics, using
a network of brokers under the covers.

At any given time, one node is the "coordinator" and I'm looking for a
way for nodes to send messages to the current coordinator regardless of
who it currently is.  Which node is the coordinator is determined by
another service.   I've been thinking of having one "coordinator" queue
and have been trying to determine the best way to route messages to the
current coordinator node.

Possible solutions include:

- Have a per-node "Coordinator Queue" and a MessageConsumer that runs
only on the coordinator node, forwarding messages from the cluster wide
Coordinator Queue to the local node's queue.

- Write a custom MessageConsumer to be run on nodes that is aware of
whether or not the local node is the coordinator and either processes
messages or not depending on its state.

- Use the Exclusive Consumer feature of ActiveMQ 4.x to determine the
coordinator, having each node simply be an exclusive consumer.  This
would seemingly work, although we lose control over who the coordinator
node is I believe.

Questions:

- Any of the solutions above stick out as the most/least appropriate?

- If we used the Exclusive Consumer feature in ActiveMQ:

      - what determines who currently is the consumer?

      - what exactly determines when the consumer changes?

      - and is there any way to get notified of a change in that
consumer (assuming the node that just lost that status is alive).

Thank you!