activemq-users mailing list archives

From Charles Anthony <charles.anth...@hpdsoftware.com>
Subject RE: ThroughPut : Small vs Large Messages
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:33:06 GMT
Thanks - would that be the TCP_NODELAY jobby ?

-----Original Message-----
From: James Strachan [mailto:james.strachan@gmail.com]
Sent: 22 June 2006 11:30
To: activemq-users@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: ThroughPut : Small vs Large Messages

It could be the Nagler kicking in - i.e. it might take a little while
for the TCP buffers to be flushed to the network for smaller messages.
You can tune TCP to enable/disable waiting for complete tcp buffers
before actually sending it to the network - its a throughput v latency
tradeoff setting.

On 6/22/06, Charles Anthony <charles.anthony@hpdsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use AMQ (4) as the client/server transport in our system. For some of
our
> clients, we host the application at our site, and though connect remotely
> via VPN. Sometimes, we (well, usually they) have trouble setting up the
VPN
> and setting firewall configs etc - so I am just knocking together a little
> noddy diagnostics program - i.e. connect to the AMQ server, create a temp
> queue, create a producer, create a consumer, send and receive a load of
> messages.
>
> All well and good.
>
> I thought I'd go a bit crazy, then, and try and work out message
throughput
> based on message size (i.e. send & reveive A x byte[B] => bytes sent =
A*B,

--

James
-------