activemq-users mailing list archives

From himmeric <himme...@vnet.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Persistence Question/Issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 22:32:28 GMT

Ok I think I have a decent understanding of what's going on and why my
approach isn't working.

I'm using non-durable subscribers that when joined at any time need to
recover all messages on a topic.  Just because I'm setting my delivery mode
to PERSISTENT doesn't really persist it to the database (to be recovered
later).   If I understand correctly a topic becomes 'persistent' by having
one or more durable subscribers (which I haven't been using).

I think to get my desired functionality (a new non-durable subscribing at
any time receives all [or per recovery policy rules] messages ever published
to a topic) I'll need that retroactive support on persistent topics.  I
should mention that this all works fine non-durable recovery on
non-persistent topics up until the server is cycled.

Can you give me some pointers to code where I can start looking at what
would be required for this change?

Or is there an alternate approach you can suggest to get to my desired
functionality?

I'm considering a hack now where a durable subscriber is created when the
server starts to make the topics persistent, but doesn't consume any
messages.  Then if the server crashes he will consume all messages waiting
for him and republish them all so they will be available to non-durable
retroactive consumers.  A hack I know, but I'm in a bind.