activemq-users mailing list archives

From "massive.boisson" <massive.bois...@gmail.com>
Subject performance questions
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:37:53 GMT

Hi;

Questions:
1.	How many clients (very approximately) can one broker handle?
2.	Would you suggest having clients connect every 3 minutes and produce and
consume required messages, or would you suggest clients permanently being
connected to broker?
3.	What load on broker is opening and keeping an open connection, what
resource does it use up?
4.	Once connection is open can I consider creating a session for producer
and a session for consumer (much) less expensive?

Our biggest concern is broker(s) ability to handle large number of our
clients.

These are key feature of our messaging system:
•	ActiveMQ broker (growing into network of brokers) running on a
top-of-the-line desktop machine with maximum RAM.
•	1 server client to process messages using Jenks.
•	Many clients (at least 1000. Possibly will grow to million)
•	Many persistent queues. (as much as clients)
•	Clients consume and produce very few messages. For example every 3 minutes
they produce 5 messages and consume 30. Nothing happens in between (or if it
does, it is ok that it waits).
•	All clients connect over SSL and are authenticated and authorized by LDAP
server!

Any kind of help/pointers will be greatly welcomed and appriciated.

Thanks,

--MB