activemq-users mailing list archives

From red3 <>
Subject Re: [Un]reliable:// network of AMQ brokers with Lingo
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:57:02 GMT

amerigo5 wrote:
> My solution to have a HA system is to combine Network of Brokers and
> Master/Slave topologies.
> Assumptions: Network of Brokers is a clustering solution.  Master/Slave is
> a replication solution.
> My setup would be:
> 1. Have a network of master brokers ie master1 and master2.
> 2. Have 2 slave brokers ie slave1 (master1 slave) and slave2 (master2
> slave).  Slave1 and slave2 brokers are not networked.
> 3. Configure the slave broker so that when its master broker shuts down
> (or fails), it would also shut down (activemq.xml:
> shutdownOnMasterFailure=true). Please refer to
> for setting this
> configuration.
> This is setup is not a perfect HA solution but it is close.
> Thanks.

Forgive my confusion, but James said that master/slave was probably the
situation we want, since we want to failover to the slave broker in the
event that the master fails.

However, you are telling me that the failover is a feature of the network of
brokers, and to shut down the slave in the event of master failure and
failover to the other master/slave combination.

On top of this we have encountered some serious anomolies in networked
broker scenarios (with ActiveMQ 3) and have had to switch back to using just
one ActiveMQ broker in production.

Could you (or someone) please clarify?

Sent from the ActiveMQ - User forum at

View raw message