activemq-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Swindells <tswinde...@ndsuk.com>
Subject HA system design
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 13:43:38 GMT

Hi, I'm new to JMS and ActiveMQ and need to develope a high available system.

I need a system without a single point of failure so I think I need multiple
brokers. The system consists of multiple clients primarily subscribing to
topics. If one of the broker goes down the subscribers need to be able to
pick up from the other broker without loosing messages. Once the first
broker has come back again it needs to keep functioning, again without
loosing messages, if the second broker subsequentely dies.

>From what I have been reading the Master-Slave connection only supports a
single failure occouring and then requires both brokers to be restarted, is
this correct?

If this is the case please could someone suggest to me what then is the best
configuration in order to create a rebust high availability system?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to having embeded brokers within each
client which then connect to the main broker system or should the client
just connect directly to the main broker system?

Thanks

Thomas