activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Christopher G. Stach II" <...@ldsys.net>
Subject Re: Pop Quiz. Who can answer these questions correctly and throughly?
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 23:19:54 GMT
dhurlburtusa wrote:
> What is a transport connector? How is it used? How do I configure one?

Consider it the broker's inbound service.

http://activemq.org/site/xml-reference.html

> What is a network connector? How is it used? How do I configure one?

Consider it a connection out of the broker to other brokers.

http://activemq.org/site/xml-reference.html

> What is the difference between a transport connector and a network
> connector?

See above.

> Where can I find a full DTD to use in my XML configuration file? All I find
> is a partial schema or DTD. Neither have definitions to the elements defined
> by Spring's configuration.

How about XSD?  See above.

> What happens to a slave broker after it becomes a master and the original
> master is restarted? There is no documentation about what happens during
> recovery. When the original master restarts, does the current master (which
> was the previous slave) go back into slave mode? Do all the clients
> reconnect to the newly restarted master?

Nothing.  You're hosed until you restart both.  There's no recovery
other than manual intervention.  Reconnection is up to the clients.

> The current documentation says that a master/slave broker configuration is
> recommended. Why? What are its advantages and disadvantages?

I don't know.  I think it's useless since it doesn't support recovery.
I'd rather use (and do use) discovery or static network connectors
between three or so machines, use journaled persistence, and XA.  If you
don't want to lose any messages, do it the right way, even if it's
slower than async and not persistent.

> Can you setup a network of master/slave brokers? Would this even be useful?

I don't think so.  I asked and got no reply.  Next peer replication
would be best.

--
Christopher G. Stach II