activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Gerdes, Mike" <Mike.Ger...@airbus.com>
Subject AW: limit the number of messages per second
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:33:23 GMT

I want this feature to make AMQ a bit more stable, to reduce network traffic and prevent flooding
and to avoid that a software with errors kills my system.

>From what I noticed is that AMQ does have some memory problems and that it hits under
certain circumstances 100 used memory and crashes then. But thats the smaller reason. The
major reason is just for security. In my testing and application I need to have a system that
is more or less stable and secure. And DoS and flooding of queues seems to me a big problem.

One thing about the memory problem, I have encountered. With more then one consumer and using
queue, AMQ crashes with 100% used memory if I send as fast as possible. This happens with
and without async messages. What I noticed is that the usageManagers request more and more
memory and at some point don't get it and then block. When a message from a queue is read,
its memory is not freed. With only on consumer this haven'T been the case. There has the memory
be freed.
(I put reference counter System.out.println into the usageManger)

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: James Strachan [mailto:james.strachan@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 15. Juni 2006 14:02
An: activemq-users@geronimo.apache.org
Betreff: Re: limit the number of messages per second

On 6/15/06, Gerdes, Mike <Mike.Gerdes@airbus.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I is it possible in AMQ to set a limit for the max number of messages per second, from
all or one consumer?

Not currently no. Just out of interest, whats you use case?

You could write a bridge which takes messages off an input queue and
then forwards them to an ouput queue but such that it throttles the
publisher to only publish a certain number of messages per second to
limit the rate at which messages are made available to consumers.
--

James
-------

This mail has originated outside your organization, either from an external partner or the
Global Internet. Keep this in mind if you answer this message.