activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: embedded broker and in VM protocol
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 11:47:00 GMT
On 5/31/06, massive.boisson <massive.boisson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am using active mq 4 (incubator).
> I read, I think, all the docs and went thru many messages.
>
> Please, let me know if this is True or False (and expect flurry of questions
> if it is false :)):
> embedded broker means that one JVM is shared by broker and lets say producer
> and consumer.

The VM protocol is used by JMS clients (producers or consumers) to
talk to a broker in the same JVM. It means commands can be exchanged
by reference rather than having to marshall them on/off a socket etc.

> If I created broker with Java code having url =
> tcp://localhost:61616, and my producer and consumer both create connections
> to tcp://localhost:61616, will they be using VM protocol?.

No - they use the TCP protocol. To use the VM protocol then use the
vm://localhost URI

http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/vm-transport-reference.html
http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/tcp-transport-reference.html

--