activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: Stomp keep-alives
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 07:22:32 GMT
On 5/3/06, Danielius Jurna <> wrote:
> Sending message to a topic will add additional load to the broker, anyway
> this kind of solution is only a quick work-around.

Though to be honest sending an empty message every 5 seconds or so (when the
client is not doing much) to a non-durable topic with no consumers has very
little overhead.

Having additional keep-alive command in stomp client would be appreciated.
> Even more, I think stomp protocol cannot be used in production for
> consuming
> messages without this feature.

Well; the ActiveMQ server can disable the inactivity timeout and so just
rely on TCP timeouts instead. But given the unreliability of TCP timeouts in
complex networks, the keep alive is a great option. I chatted on IRC with
Brian and I think we managed to convince him to add it to the STOMP protocol
as a verb.