activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Message prioritization
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 06:54:12 GMT
Under high performance scenarios its often hard to collect messages and
reorder them sufficiently - consequently JMS providers rarely implement
priority ordering well. One simple way to efficiently and effectively
implmement priority consumption is to use selectors. Then you can guarrentee
to shape the traffic so that a large number of consumers only see high
priority messages and a small number of consumers see low priority messages.

On 5/3/06, Attila_Szegedi <nabble2@szegedi.org> wrote:

> What's the current state of the message priority support in ActiveMQ? It
> looks to me like it was in there previously, but is gone again in 4.0 as
> witnessed by AMQ-122 Jira issue... At least from my initial 2-hour
> analysis
> of the latest SVN source code, it looks like there's no prioritization in
> org.apache.activemq.broker.region.Queue (am I looking in the right place
> at
> all?) - it uses a LinkedList for messages.
>
> I was wondering if this would be as easy as replacing the "LinkedList
> messages" member of the Queue class with a PriorityQueue and have priority
> stored in MessageReference objects and implement a Compator for the
> priority
> queue on them with lexicographical comparison of (priority, message
> sequence
> number). There's probably an additional gotcha with selector interaction
> (AMQ-337) that I don't know where in the code should it be addressed...
>
> So, my question boils down to: does ActiveMQ 4.0 support message
> prioritization, and if not, how hard would it be to implement?
> --

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/