activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Controlling Number of Queue Consumers
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 12:44:39 GMT
On 5/1/06, reza aliakbary <r_aliakbary@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Suppose this scenario: I have 10 queues in my application and I want to  consume their
messages asynchronously. I want to know whether

>   1- it can slow down the server if I add alot of consumers to this  queues (event if
they are idle) or not(For example 50 for each  queue).

No, create as many consumers as you like.

>   2- What is your suggestion for adding consumers to the queues. Should I  add consumers
at start of application and leave them to consume  messages or I should manage them during
the life time of application,  for example removing idle consumers from the queues that are
not busy  for a long time and adding consumers to the queues that are busy.

I'd just create them at the start of the application; ActiveMQ will
then load balance across the consumers.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/