activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: neural net using topics?
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 23:07:55 GMT
On 5/30/06, jordan woerndle <jdgunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to start out by pleading JMS ignorance and apologizing for my
> generic question... I'm really just looking for some suggestions on how I
> can get better performance out of a wacky activeMQ app.
>
> I have a bunch of "Filters" that listen for and broadcast messages on many
> Topics.  I want each filter to be able to listen to many topics, and
> periodically fire a message off onto one-to-many topics.  It kind of looks
> like a network of neurons passing messages around and making decisions
> (think distributed bayesian filter.)
>
> Currently, each of my filters subscribes to one topic. Each will
> periodically publish a message to one other topic and send a "status"
> messsage to a "status" topic.  I can run about 30 "Filters" (they are doing
> no processing) with about 30 topics.. i can push about 90 messages a second.
> I'd like to do a lot more and listen,broadcast to more topics.

So is that 90 mess/sec * 30 filters = 2700 msg/sec total?  With topics
we typically see performance in the order of 1000's of messages/sec.
Are you CPU constrained or IO?

> I am running activeMQ 4.0 M4 using non-persistent messaging, windows XP,
> jdk1.5.0 on one machine using one broker started from the command line using
> the default out-of-the-box configuraiton.  Everything I know i learned from
> the examples on the site. If it helps, I don't really care if I drop a few
> messages.

I would upgrade to the listed at latest
http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/download.html

> What's the first step to increase throughput?  Should I put the broker on a
> different machine?  Should I try to split my topics up between several
> brokers?

Splitting the topics sometimes helps.. You can also decrease CPU usage
by avoiding marshalling by using the vm:// transport.

> Thanks a lot!
> Jordan
> --

Regards,