activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: Message prioritization
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 04:27:54 GMT
HI Attila,

Your right on all counts.  Something like the PriorityQueue should do
the trick but it would need to be done on the PrefetchSubscription's
pending list.  The message list of the Queue is not used unless the
Queue is filling a new consumer.

The hard part in implementing this is making supporting priority a
configurable policy option configured via activemq.xml.  Supporting
priority adds overhead that most JMS applications do not need to incur
and should be off by default.

Please submit us a patch if you get this implemented.

On 5/3/06, Attila_Szegedi <nabble2@szegedi.org> wrote:

> What's the current state of the message priority support in ActiveMQ? It
> looks to me like it was in there previously, but is gone again in 4.0 as
> witnessed by AMQ-122 Jira issue... At least from my initial 2-hour analysis
> of the latest SVN source code, it looks like there's no prioritization in
> org.apache.activemq.broker.region.Queue (am I looking in the right place at
> all?) - it uses a LinkedList for messages.
>
> I was wondering if this would be as easy as replacing the "LinkedList
> messages" member of the Queue class with a PriorityQueue and have priority
> stored in MessageReference objects and implement a Compator for the priority
> queue on them with lexicographical comparison of (priority, message sequence
> number). There's probably an additional gotcha with selector interaction
> (AMQ-337) that I don't know where in the code should it be addressed...
>
> So, my question boils down to: does ActiveMQ 4.0 support message
> prioritization, and if not, how hard would it be to implement?
> --

Regards,
Hiram