activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Kevin German" <>
Subject RE: Design Question
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 18:53:44 GMT

I'm looking at a similar problem.  I've been playing with the idea of
implementing a SOAPTransport inside AMQ that passes messages off to
destinations sharing a name with the message type.

There are basically 2 reasons that make me want to put it in AMQ rather than
run a SOAP server that feeds AMQ:
* Transports - AMQ has so many of them it would be nice if my integration
partners could pass messages into the SOAP interface across a number of
* Laziness - If at all possible I'd like to just start AMQ with an XML file
and add my custom jars to the path, rather than having a Server running the
SOAP listener and communicating with the AMQ server.

I'm still trying to hash out the details of this but figured I may as well
piggy back on your question to see if this approach is nuts.

-----Original Message-----
From: chris24 []
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 12:29 PM
Subject: Design Question

    I have posted a few messages and recieved great answers. I have a
question relating to if I should use Active MQ standalone or an ESB like
ServiceMix. My situation is that various clients writen in various languages
all need to pass messages to each other using the publish subscribe model.
These clients use web services to pass SOAP calls to a homegrown broker. The
broker publishes new information to subscribers using a web service call to
a listener the subscriber passes in when they subscribe. We want to replace
the broker with Active MQ. Can I get this behavior with MQ alone? The idea
is that we could just change the broker clients our services use to interact
with the new broker. Thoughts I have had:
1: Wrap active mq with something that knows how to make recieve web service
SOAP calls.
2. Use a mix of BC, Active MQ, and SE with Service Mix to get the behavior.
3. Something else???

Can you pros helo a rookie out :) Thanks,
Sent from the ActiveMQ - User forum at

View raw message