activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Javier Leyba" <>
Subject Re: Master/Slave question
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 11:36:42 GMT

I've asked the same some time ago and Rob told me the following:

master/slave doesn't handle this scenario - it is designed to provide
a simple backup-support. When you wish to re-enable a master, you
will need to ensure that the master is up to date with the slave -
this is a manual process:

1. stop the slave
2. copy the data directories from the slave broker to the master.
3. re-start master then slave brokers.

Hope this helps

On 5/2/06, Jason Dillon <> wrote:
> In a Master/Slave configuration, if my master goes down, I see that
> the Slave notices and starts accepting connections.
> But if I start up the Master again, I notice that the slave does not
> transfer control back to the master.
> If for some reason my Master node goes down, clients are configured
> to failover: to the client, and then operations restarts the
> master... do I now have to restart all clients to get them back on
> the master node, then restart the slave node to reestablish the
> master/slave configuration?
> Ideally, I'd like if the master failed (say machine died due to power
> loss or something), that the slave would take over until it realized
> that the master was back on-line then resumed being a slave...
> redirecting clients back to the master after it has synchronized up
> the state between the two.
> Is anything like this possible?

View raw message