activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Controlling Number of Queue Consumers
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 12:47:49 GMT

On 1 May 2006, at 11:22, reza aliakbary wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   Suppose this scenario: I have 10 queues in my application and I
> want to  consume their messages asynchronously. I want to know whether
>
>   1- it can slow down the server if I add alot of consumers to
> this  queues (event if they are idle) or not(For example 50 for
> each  queue).
There's always some overhead with adding more consumers - but it's
usually negligible.  BTW you mean a queue consumer per Connection
right?
  For connections, the overhead is an additional file descriptor, and
depending on your operating system, these are usually limited on a
per-process basis (free BSD is 1024), Linux (256) etc - though if
your an admin you can change these; and depending on the transport,
an additional thread.

>   2- What is your suggestion for adding consumers to the queues.
> Should I  add consumers at start of application and leave them to
> consume  messages or I should manage them during the life time of
> application,  for example removing idle consumers from the queues
> that are not busy  for a long time and adding consumers to the
> queues that are busy.

Good question!  - and really dependent on your architecture and
'weight' of consumers.
Usually it's good practice to have a few active consumers, and
monitor the depth of the Queue using JMX. You could raise JMX
notifications if the depth of a Queue exceeds a set limit and spawn
up another consumer or two, and remove consumers when there is less
load on the Queue.

>   Best Regards,
>   Reza

> Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone  calls to 30+ countries for
> just 2ยข/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

hope that helps,

cheers,

Rob

http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/