activemq-users mailing list archives

From jamescowan <cow...@freenet.co.uk>
Subject memory usage in activemq4 release
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 17:11:34 GMT

i have found the release version of activemq4 uses much more memory than
activemq4 RC2 and have been trying to work around this.

The only solution I have found is to control the rate that at which topic
messages are published which does work but is an ugly solution. I like
activemq a lot mainly because it allows the use of tcp (rather than udp) and
ideally I would like to be able to make use of tcp's sliding window
algorithm rather an ugly hack.

I could switch from using topics to queues and I could look at use Stream
messages.

Would use of queues or stream messages reduce memory consumption? Does a
stream message imply that the message will be processed like a tcp stream?

In general how does buffering work in activemq? Are large amounts of buffers
allocated in a publisher or subscriber? How much buffeing does an embedded
broker use? Are there any configuration mechanisms so that you can trade off
between memory usage and performance?

James Cowan