activemq-users mailing list archives

From Dietrich Bollmann <dbollmann...@web.de>
Subject Messages received in wrong order
Date Mon, 29 May 2006 10:20:30 GMT
Hi,

Thinking about a switch to a different JMS provider we are currently
testing ActiveMQ. As the results of these tests might be interesting
also for other people, I am posting here a protocol of a small failing test:

Using a very simple producer and consumer (I appended the code to this
message) the messages are received in the wrong order.

The following setting produced problems in 7 of 10 cases:

  - One broker
  - Two producers sending 100000 messages each
  - One consumer
  - Broker, producers and consumer are all running on the same host.

* Test protocol:

Preparations:

  gunzip test.tar.gz
  tar xvf test.tar
  cd test
  ant compile

Start the broker:

  cd $ACTIVEMQ_HOME
  bin/activemq

Start the consumer:

  ant \
    -DconsumerName=consumer \
    -Durl=tcp://localhost:61616 \
    -DproducerCount=2 \
    -DmessageCount=100000 \
    consumer

Start the producers:

  ant \
    -DproducerName=producer1 \
    -Durl=tcp://localhost:61616 \
    -DproducerCount=2 \
    -DmessageCount=100000 \
    producer

  ant \
    -DproducerName=producer2 \
    -Durl=tcp://localhost:61616 \
    -DproducerCount=2 \
    -DmessageCount=100000 \
    producer

* Results:

Running the test 10 times the messages were received 3 times in the
right order and 7 times in a mixed up fashion:

   1. Succesfully received all messages
   2. Wrong message order: Received message 33045 after message 33043
from producer2
   3. Wrong message order: Received message 97909 after message 97829
from producer1
   4. Wrong message order: Received message 67839 after message 67837
from producer2
   5. Wrong message order: Received message 63717 after message 63610
from producer2
   6. Succesfully received all messages
   7. Wrong message order: Received message 61603 after message 61576
from producer2
   8. Wrong message order: Received message 51119 after message 49043
from producer2
   9. Succesfully received all messages
  10. Wrong message order: Received message 99710 after message 99707
from producer1

Thanks
--
Dietrich Bollmann