activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: Delay Message Processing
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:15:10 GMT
I'd use a scheduler (like Quartz) to send the message

we currently don't have any efficient ways to send a message for
dispatching in the future.

It wouldn't be too hard to add a special Broker Interceptor to deal
with 'future messages' where some JMS message header could be used to
define the time at which a message should be dispatched. Then
internally the interceptor would filter out these messages and create
a new timer event in Quartz.

A simple implementation could just be to persist the message inside
quartz as the timer event state; a more clever and efficient
implementation would be to use ActiveMQ for the persistence and then
use the timer event to start the dispatching of the message. Though
this might involve some change to the ActiveMQ broker code to be able
to persist messages that should not be dispatched.

On 4/28/06, osian <> wrote:
> Is there any way in which to tell ActiveMQ when producing a message that this
> message is not to be processed until a set date/time. I have considered
> validating the message, and if it is not ready to process, produce a new
> message (and this will go on until it is ready to be processed), but this is
> a large overhead for a simple problem.  Any advice would be greatfully
> appreciated,
> Cheers,
> Osh
> --