activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ and Ajax
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:17:54 GMT
On 4/19/06, ssozonoff <serge@sozonoff.com> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> We would like to keep the protocol between the c# client and the server as
> HTTP over a standard port. Mainly to avoid any issues with firewalls.

FWIW it'd probably be quite easy to add HTTP support to the C# client
in the same way that the Java client can tunnel through HTTP.

The main downsides right now with the REST support is performance
(there's no way to do preloading of messages in consumers like we do
in the Java/C# clients - REST is request-response so lots slower) and
that there are no transactions or acknowledgements (if the socket dies
in the middle of a GET the message is lost). Other than that, you
should be able to use the HTTP support.

As an aside; I have been pondering about making a version of STOMP
(http://stomp.codehaus.org/) which uses HTTP - as mostly its very HTTP
like already, its just a new bunch of verbs - though firewalls often
do tend to block HTTP verbs other than GET/POST so am not sure how
useful it'd be.

--

James
-------