activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ 3.2.2 - Consumer not working??
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:15:04 GMT
On 4/12/06, Adrian Tarau <ady@daxtechnologies.com> wrote:
> Well I'm not sure about those 5 seconds, I think it makes sense only if
> the consumer starts consuming and the connector was not started.

Its perfectly legal in JMS to do this - many people do - so we
shouldn't create a warning for perfectly valid JMS applications.

> I agree, is perfectly normal to create multiple consumers for the same
> connection and then start the connection, but if I consume before the
> connection was started, a warning could help to figure out why nothing came.

Oh, you mean consumer.receive()?

Its starts to get a little complex now; as the thread doing the
consumer.receive() could be different to the thread doing the
connection.start(), so its still valid to do a consumer.receive()
before the connection is started.

Plus lots of people use the async consumption model - which this
approach won't help; so I think i'd rather a more general catch all
that consumers created on a connection that doesn't get started within
some time window (1-5 seconds or so) we generate a warning.

--

James
-------