activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Massive parallel message distribution (Thousands of clients)
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:12:19 GMT
On 4/10/06, RickBadertscher <rbadertscher@packeteer.com> wrote:
> I need to asynchronously transmit different messages to possibly thousands of
> clients.  I don't know enough about activemq implementation to know whether
> each client maintains an open socket to the provider, if so, it would seem
> jms point-to-point my not work for this type of problem as the provider
> would be overloaded with open sockets.   Does anyone have an insight on
> this?   I was thinking of just writing a simple multi-threaded distributor
> to do what I need, but it seems that this problem should already be solved.
> Thanks in advance.

When you say "client" what do you mean? FWIW if its a proces (JVM) of
some kind then it needs to use some kind of networking (TCP /
multicast / UDP) to communicate with a JMS broker.

The publish/subscribe feature of ActiveMQ can handle many thousands of
clients across a network of brokers; so don't worry about the number
of sockets; its an issue for the broker but not for the
producer/consumer side. On modern operating systems you can often have
1000s of sockets open per JVM; on Solaris and modern linuxes this
number can be > 10K sockets.

James

> - Rick
> --