activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ Exotic Clients
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 21:09:05 GMT
On 4/6/06, bom.bom <sebastien.foucault@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> 1- Has anybody tried and succeeded in using ActiveMQ from COBOL programs (for
> example using the STOMP protocol) especially in EBCDIC environments (my
> intended use is a message producer rather than a message consumer) ?

I'd love a pure COBOL client for ActiveMQ. So far Stomp assumes by
default that the commands are encoded in UTF-8 AFAIK so we might have
to use a special EBCDIC flavour of the stomp connector (we could maybe
auto-detect based on the CONNECT string like XML parsers often do).

> 2- In such situations how to cope with encoding issues (EBCDIC / JMS) ?

We'd need on the broker to parse all strings correctly as EBCDIC and
convert to their usual UTF format in Java so that they can be
exchanged with regular OpenWire/Stomp clients and other brokers.

> 3- Does the STOMP protocol allow to use the "failover" mode. AFAIK, the
> "failover" mode   is handled on the JMS client side. Does it mean that if
> want to reproduce that failover mechanism using the STOMP protocol, i have
> to implement it myself ?

Failover mode is purely a client side thing where it auto-reconnects
its socket to another broker on failure, often taking a list of URLs
to choose from etc. Unfortunately this piece does have to be ported to
a client.

An alternative though is to run an ActiveMQ broker process on the
local machine acting purely as a gateway to the other brokers; such
that the Java process deals with all the different transports and
failover modes with other brokers - then the Stomp/OpenWire client
just always connects on localhost:61613/61616 and lets the Java code
deal with failover on its behalf.

--

James
-------