activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: Broker config
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 06:55:21 GMT
On 4/5/06, Adrian Co <> wrote:
> Hi,
> To try and answer some of your questions:
> Naby wrote:

> >c) How often does it happen that a broker fails/dies forever?
> >

> I can't say really depends on a lot of factors I think. :-)

Agreed. Its probably most common that just sockets go bad so that the
client with try to reconnect again. Brokers failing or being killed is
quite rare but can happen.

> >Let me ask another question.
> >We are running web clients. There is a time lack between the start of these
> >clients and the registration to the topics but we want the clients to get
> >the messages which are published within this time, but not messages
> >published before the start.
> >What do you think is a good technic/configuration to solve this problem?
> >

> I don't know if this would work for you, but AMQ 4.x has a
> TimedSubscriptionRecoveryPolicy, which basically allows you to specify
> how long messages should be cached in memory before being discarded. If
> you use this, you should also make your consumers retroactive.

The subscription recovery policy allows you to go back in time for
non-durable topic subscriptions

(for durable topic subscriptions clearly this is not really necessary).

It does take the broker a little while to realise a socket is dead and
close down the current subscriptions; there is a chance the client
could reconnect in time; we could maybe do a better job at realising
clients are down and waiting long enough before really discarding the
connection/subscription/messages. Though the subscription recovery
mechanism should act as a catch-all which can deal with clients moving
from one broker to another and still avoiding missing any messages

View raw message