activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Embedded Brokers discovery
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:20:35 GMT
On 4/4/06, kitplummer <kitplummer@gmail.com> wrote:
> James.Strachan wrote:
> >
> > On 3/30/06, kitplummer <kitplummer@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, this discovery method works.  However, I want to use mDNS.  Just to
> >> finalize this...
> >>
> >> Is there no more support for jmDNS?
> >
> > No - the code is still there. Use rendezvous:foo
> >
> > I've just committed a test case using it which seems to work.
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-core/src/test/java/org/apache/activemq/transport/discovery/RendezvousDiscoverTransportTest.java
> >
> > --
> >
> > James
> > -------
> > http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/
> >

> James (and everyone else),
>
> Ok, I feel somewhat stupid now.  What I'm really looking for is to have the
> ActiveMQ broker show up in my Bonjour Browser window.  Now to make that
> happen I'm think I need to add some stuff to the "ActiveMQ-4." string to
> make it end up more like "default._ActiveMQ-4._tcp.local." which would then
> appear in the mdns browser.  I've edited the RendevousDiscoveryAgent.java
> code, but am still not seeing it.  Looking a little closer at the code
> there, I am thinking I somehow need to call the registerService method in
> order for it to actually make it to the mDNS server.  Any help here would be
> greatly appreciated.

Note that things appear straight away if you use the browser that
comes with jmDNS

java -jar lib/jmdns.jar -browse

then it appears.

I've just patch SVN HEAD to explicitly prepend a "_" to ensure that
the names look a bit nicer in rendezvous. I even tried hacking
RendevousDiscoveryAgent to use similar naming schemes to other
services but I couldn't get the Bonjour Browser to pick it up - no
idea what the magic is (maybe known services have to be configured
into it in the right way for it to recognise it?)

--

James
-------