activemq-users mailing list archives

From ssozonoff <se...@sozonoff.com>
Subject Long lasting transactions
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:05:51 GMT

Hi All,

We need to send Messages to HTTP based clients. We also need to know if the
HTTP client has dealt with the message or not.

One idea would be to expose transaction commit and rollback over REST and
the HTTP client would call commit once he had dealt with the message. In
essence we are building some sort of an HTTP gateway.

Due to the stateless nature of HTTP we also need to have a transaction
timeout so that if the HTTP client shuts down, after the timeout periond the
messages will be rolled back and placed in the queue again for redelivery.

My question is what impact does potentialy long lasting transactions have on
system resources. I guess this at least make pooling a little less
effective?

I have spent a little time looking at the large amount of different options
that ActiveMQ offers. Axis, REST, Stomp etc... but somehow non of them seem
to fit the build. For example we need to use selectors, one per HTTP client
etc ...

Thanks for any thoughts,
Serge