activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Johan Hallgren" <jhallg...@apiworldwide.com>
Subject Trouble geting JAAS authorization to work with ActiveMQ-4.0-RC2
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:07:20 GMT
Hello list,

I am trying to get authentication and authorization using JAAS to work with ActiveMQ-RC2,
and am having troubles with the authorization part (authentication seems to be working fine).
I am trying to get a setup as close to the one outlined in http://www.activemq.org/Security
to work first, so this is what I have set up:

I have created a login.config file in $ACTIVE_HOME/lib with these contents:

activemq-domain {
    org.apache.activemq.jaas.PropertiesLoginModule required
        debug=true
        org.apache.activemq.jaas.properties.user="users.properties"
        org.apache.activemq.jaas.properties.group="groups.properties";
};

In the same directory, I have created users.properties with this content:

myuser=mypassword

Also in the same directory, I have created groups.properties with this content:

myuser=mygroup

Finally, I have made this addition to activemq.xml, and placed it as the first element in
the broker element:

    <plugins>
      <!--  use JAAS to authenticate using the login.config file on the classpath to configure
JAAS -->
      <jaasAuthenticationPlugin configuration="activemq-domain" />

      <!--  lets configure a destination based authorization mechanism -->
      <authorizationPlugin>
        <map>
          <authorizationMap>
            <authorizationEntries>
              <authorizationEntry queue=">" read="mygroup" write="mygroup" admin="mygroup"
/>
              <authorizationEntry queue="USERS.>" read="mygroup" write="mygroup" admin="mygroup"
/>
              <authorizationEntry queue="GUEST.>" read="mygroup" write="mygroup" admin="mygroup"
/>

              <authorizationEntry topic=">" read="mygroup" write="mygroup" admin="mygroup"
/>
              <authorizationEntry topic="USERS.>" read="mygroup" write="mygroup" admin="mygroup"
/>
              <authorizationEntry topic="GUEST.>" read="mygroup" write="mygroup" admin="mygroup"
/>

              <authorizationEntry topic="ActiveMQ.Advisory.>" read="mygroup" write="mygroup"
admin="mygroup"/>
            </authorizationEntries>
          </authorizationMap>
        </map>
      </authorizationPlugin>
    </plugins>

I am then trying to send messages to a queue from an application in my servlet container,
that I have based on the example that came with the ActiveMQ distribution. Basically, first
I create a connection like this:

ActiveMQConnection connection = ActiveMQConnection.makeConnection("myuser", "mypassword",
"tcp://localhost:61616");

I then try and create a javax.jms.Session like this:

Session session = connection.createSession(false, Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);

However, when doing this, I get an exception:

javax.jms.JMSException: User myuser is not authorized to create: topic://ActiveMQ.Advisory.Connection

I have also tried doing a connection.start() before creating the session, but that statement
also yields the above exception. The authentication piece does seem to work, though, because
if I supply an erroneous user name, creating the session throws this exception:

javax.jms.JMSException: User name or password is invalid.

Also, sending messages without using JAAS (by removing the above plugins element from activemq.xml)
works fine.

I'm now lost trying to figure out where I'm going wrong. I have not referenced any topic or
queue names in the code prior to creating the session, so I'm wondering why the exception
states that I'm trying to create an ActiveMQ.Advisory.Connection topic. Have I misconfigured
activemq.xml or login.config somewhere, or is there something in the code that needs to happen
to invoke the authorization logic, other than specifying the autorizationMap in activemq.xml?

Any insight would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Johan Hallgren